Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Trash to Treasure - French Trays

This is my trash to treasure tray project.  I am making these for my upcoming flea.o.logy sale on September 2nd and 3rd.



In the beginning there was a stack of vintage red trays with a printed floral pattern.  I got them from a friend to sell at my flea market.  But no takers.  They were actually sitting in the box to go to a charity store, when this idea hit me and I had to dig them out.
As you see step one was black spray paint.
Step two was finding a French Graphic on  Graphics Fairy
Step three was to trim the paper with graphic to size.
Step four was to decoupage it into place. (I use school glue, like Elmer's, but do not use 'washable' school glue its different, ues it undiluted, with a wet 2 inch paint brush.)
Repeat Step four until you have a nice thick, smooth covering, 3 coats is usually enough. Allow to dry between applications.
Step five, after it is totally dry, you can waterproof it by spraying it with several layers of clear varnish (spray paint)
Caution:  If you don't have thick enough layers of glue, the varnish spray will 'bleed' into the paper around the edges and cause spots.
Here is the final product along with an old tin bread box that has been gathering dust at the antique mall for years.  A new coat of black paint and the same process as the tray and Voila', Frenchy kitchen details !!



10 comments:

  1. You are amazing! You'll have to report on how they sell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute use of GF graphics today. The trays are lovely and the tips about coating enough before sealing is very helpful. Thanks :D

    Visiting from Brag Monday at GraphicsFairy today,
    ~Suzanne in NW Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeoussssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!
    happy week,
    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to try this. By "school glue" do you mean white glue such as Elmer's? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I have a stack of those exact trays. I also tried to sell several times with no takers. Now you have given me this great idea. And of course, my life wouldn't the same with The Graphics Fairy. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marvellous transformation. I do so enjoy your work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am thinking they would sell now, Beautiful upcycle!!
    Keep smiling and creating

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful french inspired trays... look great..
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete