Monday, October 8, 2012

Reinventing for Halloween or Getting Your "Poe" On!

I loved this lacy faux lantern when I found it a couple of years ago at a garage sale, but could never figure out anything to do with it.  This year I noticed it while rummaging to get ready for a sale, and it struck me as a great place for a mini skeleton.  The skeleton was too long, but, the skull was just right.  I painted the lantern, and put a eye screw into the skull to suspend it ... I felt sort of like a mad scientist ...


The metal bird on the original lantern suggested a raven once it was painted black, so I went with every one's favorite Edgar Allen Poe quote!  Fortunately Graphics Fairy had the perfect bird for the copper glitter edged mini banner. I then added a dollar store crow to the top.



As you can see, I repositioned the quote to the bottom of the lantern, because when the lantern is in hanging position, its more eye level ... "Quoth the Raven, Nevermore" .... It stills makes me shiver.  How about you?  Any Poe fans out there?

6 comments:

  1. That is amazing! Such a great Halloween decoration!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish my mind was quicker to see the possibilities of some thrift store items. I pass by without a thought something that you would snatch up and make something amazing! It's so much fun to see how your mind works! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley, but as you know it can take a while for something to actually happen, as is the case with the little coo coo clock, right? The result is piles of stuff waiting for inspiration.

      Delete
  3. So fabulous! I'm a Poe fan and I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it, you know I had one of those single volume, all the works of Poe, that two of my teenagers actually wore out, reading it to each other, and alone. I loved that they loved it so much!!

      Delete