Friday, February 22, 2013

A Happy Birthday to George Washington!

Just wanted to take a minute out of my crazy February to celebrate George Washington's birthday, February 22, 1732. 
 
Because I have a mother that was invested in family history, and accumulating long lists of ancestors, I happen to know that George Washington in my second cousin, six times removed. 
 

I found this great old print of him in a stack of antique ephemera ... you can see to thr right that the corner is bent , and there were actually some tears I trimmed off.  It was a premium, probably from a magazine subsription, in 1876, during the our country's centennial.

I looked for a period frame for a long time, before finding this aesthetic style frame at the antique mall where I work.  I loved it and thought it looked good enough to be original. 


The picture has been hanging in my library for many years, but this year I thought it would be fun to decorate it for the big day.
 Since I loved all the rosettes that the rebels wore in the latest movie of Les Miserables, I thought it would be the perfect detail to help me honor my cousin's birthday. As always, I am indebted to Graphics Fairy for the awesome silhouette that makes up the middle of the rosette.        
Happy Birthday to the First George W.

1 comment:

  1. What??? Well isn't that the most interesting thing ever, Paula! Very cool and I love the picture!

    ReplyDelete