Monday, July 6, 2015

Fairy Garden Sign Posts


I had some fun last week with some old pickets we salvaged from one of our rental houses ...
I decoupaged torn edge papers onto the boards ... I used scrapbook paper, wrapping paper and even some scented draw lining paper I liked ... but  I definitely liked the look of the wrapping paper best because it is unseamed.










Here I turn over the lettering I plan to use and scribble a pencil across all the lines I want to transfer.



Then I turn it over and trace it, leaving the letter shapes on the board ...



Next I outline it with a permanent sharpy marker, which just left filling in the letters with craft paint and a fine brush.
Last of all I went over them with Varathane ... the one on top got two coats ... nope, too shiny, the others had the varnish soak in a bit, so its more natural looking but still protected ...  Can you see how the rough grain of the wood shows through the thin paper?  The trick for that is to run your fingers over the final coat of decoupage medium while its still wet to press the paper down into the grooves of the old wood.
 I would like to credit Anne's Attic Design for being the mother thought of this project .... I love meeting new bloggers who trigger ideas in my head ... thanks Jo!

And why, you may ask, do I need so many garden signs?  The truth is, I don't, but fleaology is this weekend and hopefully some of my wonderful shoppers will need one or two of these beauties!!  Stay tuned for fabulously fun fleaology fotos!!

1 comment:

  1. Such a fun idea Paula! I like the trick you used to transfer the writing on. Have a lovely day! Jo

    ReplyDelete