Wednesday, April 6, 2016

The Red and White Bedroom and the Big Barb Chief

As you know  we built a master suite in our attic and decorated it in red and white. Sometime during the process I realized that my Father's college memorabilia, which had been in the family room, would be a perfect match. 
My Father attended the University of Utah, whose colors just happened to be red and white. 
I'd put this shadow box together several years ago in memory of his college days. The watch to the left was actually his pocket watch, then I copied items from his year book and found other goods at estate sales. 



I included the small Indian because the Ute is the mascot of the U. Today the U works closely with the tribal council to present a dignified representation. Many scholarships are awarded to tribe members each year as part of this agreement. 
I included the small trophy after reading ... 
this in his year book. 
My father was from a poor family and attended the University as an ROTC student. The young men in his unit put together polo teams using the horses intended for field artillery training. He's second from the left in the picture above 
I had already included this great Warrior lamp ... 
and  several red arrows in the decor, so the U of U items were perfect!  
Now I'd like to tell you how this poor student at school on the military's dime, became the Student Body President in 1935. 

At the U, as with many other state universities, the class officers always came out of the carefree fraternity  and sorority class,  even though their membership represented less than 10 percent of the student body. 

The year before, a group of this hard working but unheard majority decided to organize and put up their own candidates. 

The organization was called the Barbs, short for Barbarian, poking fun at their exclusion from the 'gentlemanly' fraternities,

Ted Moss was elected  student Body President, my father was his VP. 

The fraternities fought back by simply offering Ted membership in their ranks. Unfortunately he acquiesced. 

The next year they ran my father, who stayed true to his supporters by refusing the offer of fraternity membership. 

Not surprisingly Ted Moss went on to become a politician, eventually serving three terms as a senator from Utah.  Yes, it's a cautionary tale, however my parents always supported Moss in his ambitions through the years, assuring me that he was basically a good man.  I'm sure they were right. 

I hope you enjoyed the story, since my father died when I was 10,  I loved hearing stories about him. This was a favorite of mine 

No comments:

Post a Comment